IDS mailing list archives

RE: IM & P2P packets

From: "net shark" <netshark () sexmagnet com>
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2005 09:31:21 -0000

No they do not. That's the *tricky* part about blocking p2p.
Emule(edonkey 2000) for instance, can use any TCP/UDP at the user's choice.
Blocking sucessfully p2p requires layer 7 data inspection, and even with
that, it's not 100% successful.

IMHO the best freeware solutions are:
1-snort, just for client identifition. Using Snort-inline for blocking p2p
is dangerous and can potentially DoS your firewall.
2- ipp2p module for netfilter, which is neither 100% compatible with all
kernel versions, nor has a good p2p identification support.
3- the best one, layer 7 QoS module for netfilter, which has support for a
lot of protocols, including many p2p protocols.
4-ipcop firewall with the module above.

Paid ones:
1-Packeteer
2-Floodgate for Checkpoint Fw-1