IDS mailing list archives

Re: IM & P2P packets

From: Blake Hartstein <bhartstein () demarc com>
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2005 13:50:11 -0800

As a starting point I would recommend the bleeding snort ruleset www.bleedingsnort.com The primary focus is detection of WHEN p2p and AIM are in use and not by WHOM. You could extend the existing rules to include the user information, and some of them may already do the trick.

I suggest looking at the following files to identify the useful information.
bleeding-p2p.rules
bleeding-policy.rules

To start download the entire ruleset, http://www.bleedingsnort.com/bleeding.rules.tar.gz.

-Blake

ahmad mubarak wrote:

hi all

i am new in infoSec field so my boss asked me to give him
a list of IM and P2P users in our network

i searched the Internet to find any tool to help in this task but no result

so is there any one can help !!! to achieve this task

ideas , tools , procedures will appreciated

thanx

Test Your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?
Find out quickly and easily by testing it with real-world attacks from CORE IMPACT. Go to http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/CoreSecurity_focus-ids_040708 to learn more.

--
This email and any files transmitted with it are solely intended for the use of the addressee(s) and may contain
information that is confidential and privileged.  If you receive this email in error, please advise us by return email

This email is also subject to copyright. No part of it should be reproduced, adapted or transmitted without the written
consent of the copyright owner.