IDS mailing list archives

Re: Detecting phising scams on wire

From: Matt.Carpenter () alticor com
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2005 08:26:38 -0500

vulnerabilty () gmail com wrote on 12/06/2005 01:42:33 AM:

I am working on IPS signatures to detect phising scams on wire.
the points in my mind are
IPS should have capabilty to validate the IP addresses using
reverselookup or by maintaining a list of blacklisted IPs.
to check SSL validation for commercial sites on wire to prevents
urlspoofing
i would appreciate your comments and suggestion

thanks in advance

No offense, but why not put your efforts into the email chain instead?
This technology would seem best fit into an MTA-like application.  IPS
would be limited in its effectiveness against first-hand phishing, and
would be worse against phishing on people's personal gmail/yahoo mail
access.

The only way I can see this being more value than an MTA-based solution is
for the personal web-mail (since that doesn't traverse a corporate MTA),
but that will be a tough sell for the corporate environment.

Then again, technology advances tend to come from somebody asking "what
if...." and then doing it.  So don't let me stop you.  Those are just my
thoughts, in an attempt to spurn more comments.

Test Your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?
Find out quickly and easily by testing it
with real-world attacks from CORE IMPACT.
Go to http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/CoreSecurity_focus-ids_040708
to learn more.