IDS mailing list archives

RE: amount of alarms generated by IDS

From: "Rob Shein" <shoten () starpower net>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 12:03:24 -0400

I'm a bit confused here.  You're talking about inline IDS and IPS.  Are you
using the terms interchangably?  If so, you're mistaken; putting an IDS
inline does not make it an IPS.  And an IDS inline shouldn't be dropping
packets.  I could see how the signatures could be tuned differently due to
the fact that it is able to ensure that it sees everything, and that could
generate fewer FPs, but aside from that I doubt there would be any
difference.  Keep in mind that an inline IDS does not (normally) do anything
to bad traffic, while an IPS takes an active role in
munging/blocking/denying such.