IDS mailing list archives

Re: amount of alarms generated by IDS

From: Jason <security () brvenik com>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 18:12:56 -0400

I have to agree with Rob and I must debate the classification of inline IPS as simply an IDS with the ability to drop malicious looking packets.

The comparison is more appropriately made as a firewall with the ability to inspect traffic in the context of good or bad in addition to allowed or disallowed.

Many Inline devices are nothing more than slimmed down proxy based firewalls of days past marketed differently. The feature set is not even that different. They understand a set number of protocols, can do inspection and normalization of those protocols and allow or disallow based on a match within the protocol. Some of the inline devices have had network grep capabilities bolted on to facilitate matching of single packet attacks and the like. This is arguably less effective than using a proxy based firewall to handle valid application interactions and blocking all non valid communication.

This functionality is different than what an IDS does and is intended to do. An IPS cannot be critical of the traffic with an eye to security, it cannot be deployed in places where inline is not possible, it cannot monitor local segments... This lack of a critical eye is because of the many issues related to context and confidence of the data being passed and is a difficult problem to solve without complete and intimate understanding of all of the protocols, hosts, and networks involved. This results in a mildly useful number of attacks that are actually blocked because the risk of blocking a non attack is high. An IDS OTOH can inspect the traffic critically with an eye to security and not be concerned with killing good traffic and thus can audit what the IPS and firewall have to let through.

Lets flashback a few years, codered just hit, wiped out a lot of servers, many people had a firewall that was capable of preventing this attack but could not configure it to do so in a timely manner. This is the same as an IPS today, short of nuisance control and containment of segmented networks it has little value over the same resources applied to reducing overall risk. Every place you would deploy an IPS is a perfect place for a good firewall. $ for $ yen for yen proactive security and patch management will get much more bang for the buck.

I am looking for examples of any case where an inline IPS blocked an attack that would not have been blocked or mitigated otherwise by a good firewall and patching or mitigating a known vulnerability.

Rob Shein wrote:

Simple.  An inline IDS is one that sits inline, and thus doesn't have to
listen promiscuously.  There are a few situations where you might want this.
The reason why there are two separate terms..."inline IDS" and "IPS"...is
because they are two separate things.