IDS mailing list archives

Re: NIDS and HIDS

From: Jason Haar <Jason.Haar () trimble co nz>
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 10:03:49 +1300

Karel Chwistek wrote:

For HIDS's, there appears to be three main categories:  monitoring the
host's file system, the host's network connections, and the host's log
files.
--Host's file system:  I'm looking at Tripwire Manager, Tripwire for
Servers, and Tripwire for Network Devices.

Slightly OT - but are the days of filesystem monitoring over? I mean, systems must move towards automated updates (e.g. Windows Update, YUM) - which means that "the system" can and will change OS files at will. A filesystem integrity checking solution will go off nearly daily in such an environment.

Or am I just out of touch, and the commercial ones take that into account somehow (it would be easy enough on RPM-based Linux systems - they could interrogate the RPM database to see if something was recently upgraded. Hmmm - but how could they tell it wasn't done by a hacker?)

I know this list is full of people who do InfoSec for a living - but the cold reality is that 99.9% of business isn't represented here - they need security solutions that work and don't require a lot of interaction (I am forever hearing from people about their failed NIDS rollouts because they didn't appreciate the amount of personnel time and effort was required to maintain it). HIDS - like NIDS - need lots of interaction (how many of our Mums can run ZoneAlarm comprehensively?)

--
Cheers

Jason Haar
Phone: +64 3 9635 377 Fax: +64 3 9635 417

Test Your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?
Find out quickly and easily by testing it with real-world attacks from CORE IMPACT. Go to http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/CoreSecurity_focus-ids_040708 to learn more.