IDS mailing list archives

RE: Symantec Manhunt

From: "Mariusz Burdach" <M_Burdach () compfort pl>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 09:09:58 +0100

Hi,

Everything included in letters from Johann and Fergus and more:

If you want to implement ManHunt 3.0 you have to think about external
database like MySQL or Oracle. The best solution is to forward events
from MH to SESA (Symantec Enterprise Security Architecture).
Additionally, events from MH are normalized and can be used by Incident
Manager (another Symantec product).
I also suggest to install MH on Red Hat (with proper amount of RAM) - if
you are going to install MH on INTEL platform. During tests performed in
our lab MH on Intel Solaris has problems with speed. For instance during
the fragroute tool using (to fragment packets).
MH is well integrated with Symantec honeypot/honeynet system: Decoy
Server. All events from Decoy Server are send to MH without help any of
smart agents (MSA). But for administration propose you have to use two
independent consoles.
And the last information: you must use signatures which are updated by
Symantec every few days. PAD (Protocol Anomaly Detection) is excellent
method but it is not sufficient.

PS. Take a look at Gigabit IDS group test: http://www.nss.co.uk/

I hope this helps...