IDS mailing list archives

RE: SourceFire RNA

From: "Rob Shein" <shoten () starpower net>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 10:46:48 -0500

The answer to this is simple.  All machines make some kind of noise on the
network, from an IDS-centric view.  If the machine doesn't have any
interaction, ever, with anything, then it's not really important from the
IDS point of view, because it can't be breached WITHOUT interaction.  Even
if the first traffic involving that machine is an attack or scan, at that
point the machine becomes at least as visible to the IDS as it is to the
attacker.