IDS mailing list archives

RE: Changes in IDS Companies?

From: "Kohlenberg, Toby" <toby.kohlenberg () intel com>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 01:38:01 -0800

Actually, I'll have to respectfully disagree.
There are many systems that run in various environments where for one
reason or another you simply can't patch them immediately (or in some
bad cases, any time soon), in those cases, you absolutely want to
implement protective measures (firewalling, changes in configuration
(if possible), isolation, etc...) but those situations are exactly the
sort of place where a GIDS _would_ be useful and appropriate.
While it isn't the ideal or final solution (removing the vulnerability
would be that), it is a reasonable interim solution to manage the risk
until a real solution can be implemented.

As any sysadmin can tell you, sometimes the patch is worse than the
vulnerability. Downtime from a bad patch can be just as bad or worse than
downtime from a compromise. :)

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect the views of my employer.

Toby