Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Securing email by inhibiting urls

From: "Mark E. Donaldson" <markee () bandwidthco com>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2011 00:51:07 +0000

You need to re-think how you handle mail. Two things:

1.       Take out all Chinese IP addresses at the firewall. Nothing of value comes out of China. 99% of it is toxic.
Why let them even have a chance?

2.       Direct webmail over the internet is dangerous at best. You need to set up an SMTP mail proxy on your system
that receives, processes, and either accepts or rejects all incoming email. Use Sendmail + MailScanner + SpamAssassin +
Clamav. Won't cost you a cent and will take all bad stuff out as you instruct it to do.

3.       Mail that makes it through the proxy should then be directed to the webmail server. It will be safe and clean.