Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Securing email by inhibiting urls

From: Timothy Shea <tim () tshea net>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2011 17:20:27 -0500

You are focusing on the wrong problem.  If desktops are being infected then
your desktop, anti-spam, and web browsing controls are all weak.
Eliminating "links" in e-mail is going to accomplish nothing.

A commercial web content filter for web browsing will go a long way to
resolving your issues.  Most commercial content filters are continuously
updated throughout the day and much can be filtered out via categories.   We
went from several desktop issues a day to one desktop issue a week after
implementing a commercial web proxy.  We then updated the browser and
implemented a new anti-virus solution.  The desktop environment has now gone
completely stable.  We've hadn't had a serious issue in months freeing up
our time to do other things.

You should also evaluate your desktop hardening and patching processes.

t.s