Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: 2nd Life

From: "Scott Pinzon" <Scott.Pinzon () watchguard com>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2007 10:17:55 -0800

I don't know if there is any room left to question management's decision
to enter Second Life, but I found Wired's recent article eye-opening.
Coca-Cola spent a lot to build a sizable "Virtual Thirst Pavilion" in
Second Life.... and according to Wired, had 27 individual visitors in 3
months. For more in a similar vein, check out "How Madison Avenue is
Wasting MIllions on a Deserted Second Life."
http://www.wired.com/techbiz/media/magazine/15-08/ff_sheep?currentPage=a
ll

Apologies for not answering the technical question, but I'm with those
who are asking "Why does an insurance company need Second Life?" If it
can be used to cut travel costs by virtual conferencing, okay. But if
they think they're getting massive exposure to potential customers,
maybe the place should be called Second Thought.

D. Scott Pinzon, CISSP, NSA-IAM
Editor-in-Chief, LiveSecurity Service
WatchGuard Technologies, Inc.