Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: FW appliance comparison - Seeking input for the forum

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <paul () compuwar net>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 09:52:55 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 david_harris () arnotts com wrote:

I think it should be re-iterated that the D in IDS is 'Detection'. Alot of
people are using this term very loosely of late.

Well, we really don't need more terms every time someone adds a feature to
a product- that's what the marketing weenies want.  You have to D before
you can P, so they're the same family of products.

I agree that IDS is a waste of time except if you need to provide glossy
feel good reports to mgmt. Then theyr'e great!

I just get frustrated that we're getting caught up in the cycle of "glossy
but useless" instead of educating and eradicating.

Paul