Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: FW appliance comparison - Seeking input for the forum

From: Christine Kronberg <Christine_Kronberg () genua de>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 11:29:40 +0100 (CET)

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006, Devdas Bhagat wrote:
On 20/01/06 10:00 -0500, Paul D. Robertson wrote:

*snip*

Again, this assumes that your policy implementation allows attacks to
traverse your infrastructure *or* that you're wasting the organization's
time passing around reports about how many times NIMDA tried to attack
your Solaris box.

Things change. IDS help detect unexpected changes. Again, IMHO, an IDS
also has a host based component which looks at (ab)normal statistics for
host traffic. A sudden increase in traffic or decrease can be
interesting events.

  Can. Admitted. I can also mean that the holiday are over and people
  are back to work. You think of anomaly detection, don't you? But
  how solid is that art?

For instance, seeing traffic destined to port 25 from an unexpected host
is a good event to trigger IDS events. Even when your firewall blocks
this traffic, the log analysis of firewall logs and DHCP logs should
catch potential malicious traffic and possible further investigation.

  Why do I need the IDS for something like that? If an internal (external
  for that instance) is doing something funny and is blocked at my fire-
  wall, the firewall tells me. That is what logfiles are for. Why do I
  need an IDS to tell me what my firewall already told me?

  I found IDS pretty useful to locate misconfigured devices in networks.
  But that brings back the topic about the implemented policies and
  whether or not they are watched.

  Cheers,

  Chris Kronberg.