Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: FW appliance comparison - Seeking input for the forum

From: "Paul Melson" <pmelson () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 16:57:40 -0500

-----Original Message-----
Subject: Re: [fw-wiz] FW appliance comparison - Seeking input for the forum

Though i think people who buy Checkpoint stuff are somehow
non-representative (i think if one tried that with, say, Cyberguard,
we'd see completely different picture) the results are still scary. Damn
scary. That means 80% firewalls could be thrown off with
no further harm to security.

I'd agree that choosing a different product customer set would probably
yield different results, but I'm not sure that Check Point is going to be
worse than others.  In fact, experience tells me that the small/medium IT
shops out there that still have their NetScreen-10 or their PIX 510 with the
same rule set and software on it for 3+ years are even more likely to have
flawed configs.

Having done it twice now, what that study indicated to me is that only about
1 in 5 of the Check Point customers they sampled actually put their firewall
admin through the Check Point certification process.  Several of those
things are, quite literally, "Day 1" concepts for managing Firewall-1.

PaulM