Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: The home user problem returns

From: Mason Schmitt <mason () schmitt ca>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 18:07:14 -0700

At any rate, I'm glad that you believe change due to pain is possible.
Just to be clear, I don't mean pain forced upon someone, I mean pain
that people experience as a result of their own action or inaction.

if i force the pain upon people based on their actions or inaction, does
that still count? cos they're mostly not volunteering for it...

They volunteer for it by not patching, downloading cursor enhancements,
etc.  The subsequent infection and outlay of cash is their pain.  I do
however think this is one of those things that has a fair bit of grey
haze surrounding it.  I just hope I don't hear about you and a human
rights tribunal at some point... "you willingly installed banzai buddy!?
 Die evil user die! ;)

I do the same thing.  I usually also follow up by telling my
mom or dad
why I did it and take that as an opportunity to tell them a bit about
what other things they may want to think about to help
protect themselves.

to some extent, though, that's audience dependent. my dad is always very
interested in what i've done and what he needs to know himself, because he's
very curious about computers, and he likes to understand how things work. my
mom, on the other hand, really *doesn't* want to know.

Yup.  I understand.  There are people that don't want to know.  Those
are the ones that are not going to learn the easy way.  In the case of
your mom, she may not have to learn if your dad takes the initiative and
manages the pc for her.

--
Mason