Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: The home user problem returns

From: Dave Piscitello <dave () corecom com>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 13:05:02 -0400

Tina, if I didn't know better, I'd conclude that security is driven by marketing and editorial calendars.

I have an entirely different take on pain versus reward than this thread has considered. I actually offered it up for comment yesterday during a talk I gave at a NWW Security Tour.

If organizations offered tangible (monetary) rewards to incent users to comply with security policy, I suspect you'd see improvements. The model I proposed is similar to performance objectives - set goals, and reward employees with $ at the end of a performance period based on the results of a security audit. I call this the "reverse Cadbury chocolate" premise. Simply put, if people will sell their passwords for a $3 candy bar, will employees

1) protect their corporate identities
2) comply with USB access controls - all devices must be registered, and all information recorded on removeable devices is encrypted and signed 3) participate in security education (e.g., an online tutorial that explains phishing and ways to detect and avoid entrapment)

for $50-100 additional income every performance period?

Sorry, I can't share this with the list. Paul's somehow botched my subscription - I can received but can't post:-)

tbird () precision-guesswork com wrote: