Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: The home user problem returns

From: "Brian Loe" <knobdy () stjoelive com>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 08:38:32 -0500

Maybe I can help explain: You know all of those "tech" schools you're
constantly seeing adds for on TV? Well, those schools attract and churn out
"techs" who eventually want some kind of return on their investment. They
either become IT managers or desktop support guys. Once they become managers
they immediately determine - as every good manager does - that they need to
increase head count in order to fully support the company's desktops; they
hire their fellow graduates by the droves.

So, if you offer them a system that eliminates their need to have a tech for
every 5 users you're REALLY raining on their parade!

I did this at the company before the last one, simply using tools provided
with XP Pro and AD and a little common sense - eliminating 90% of the
tickets the "helpdesk" was getting (company of 300 does NOT need a
helpdesk). At the last company I TRIED to do it, but you know, that
"Director of IT" and his "IT Manager" (his only direct report) didn't
believe me. They insisted on the desktop guys keeping their jobs AND playing
server admins when they're not doing desktop, with lots of "Cross-Training"!
They even hired me as a network guy...which they obviously needed since they
were upgrading to a 6500 - giving them 12 managed switches (that the "IT
Manager" had setup when he first came to the company)!!

That's why going into the IT field is stupid, in my view, unless your really
love this kind of work. In that case, AVOID AT ALL COSTS "tech" schools!!!
;) Hope this helps.

unfortunately, i am consistently told by marketing folks and
journalists that rewarding the right behavior isn't sexy
enough to be newsworthy. apparently selling "a kick ass
system for maintaining proper system config, and simplifying
enterprise desktop management" doesn't work - but "scan and block"
or "worm preventers" or "quarantine solutions" will. i think
it's absurd, that stupid reactive approach to life. it was
much easier to get the UNIX sys admins to adopt security
mechanisms by pointing out how much easier they make system
management, but apparently that's not always a good sell for
the desk top folks. i don't get it.

tbird