Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: The home user problem returns

From: "Marcus J. Ranum" <mjr () ranum com>
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2005 13:36:32 -0400

Dave Piscitello wrote:
If organizations offered tangible (monetary) rewards to incent users to comply with security policy, I suspect you'd
see improvements. The model I proposed is similar to performance objectives - set goals, and reward employees with $
at the end of a performance period based on the results of a security audit. I call this the "reverse Cadbury
chocolate" premise. Simply put, if people will sell their passwords for a $3 candy bar, will employees

That's a great idea!!! Offer everyone $5k/year less than you normally would
pay them, and give them a $5k bonus at the end of the year if they show
that they've been a "good security camper"!
...and the bean counters would love it because if employees terminated
before the bonus, they just penalized themselves (and saved the company)
$5k! :)

mjr.