Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Linux Firewall Distributions

From: "Kevin Sheldrake" <kev () electriccat co uk>
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2004 19:10:13 +0100

Personally, I built mine on gentoo Linux (www.gentoo.org). It's a bit more of an involved install, but it is exceptionally well documented on the site (make sure you have Internet access while building it!). The beauty of gentoo is that all the 'packages' are provided in configured source-balls rather than binary-balls; while it takes longer to compile source than it does to copy binaries, it does mean your installation is optimized precisely for your hardware. Due to the way dependencies are handled, it appears that gentoo is free of the dependency nightmare you can find with other Linuxes.

In terms of gentoo versus a firewall-configured-linux, you might want to bear in mind the following factors: 1) Installing and configuring gentoo by hand means you'll understand a lot more about how it works and how to reconfigure it as things change. Packaged distros seem to do strange non-standard things that can be hard to phathom. 2) Because you'll want to keep it patched up to date, you will probably want a distro that has good package management, including dependency management. I think gentoo excels here. Gentoo are also very quick at getting patches tested and published. 3) Because gentoo is built from the ground up, you'll only ever install software that you want; you'll never build a gentoo box and find a stray service that you didn't want. This is good for security as well as your disk space.

For interest, my gentoo firewall runs two ethernet NICs and one wifi NIC. The wifi network is covered by IPSec (using 2.6 kernel IPSec and strongswan, at present). I use iptables to provide the firewalling functionality. Other than a cron daemon and a syslogger, I've installed very little else. And all that runs beautifully on a 266MHz P2.

I've used two packaged firewall linux distros in the past and I wasn't impressed with either. They both performed well, they just made it very difficult to hand maintain.

Kev

Hi Firewall-Wizards,

Does anyone have experience with Linux based Firewall/Router distributions ?

I am looking for a cost-effective firewall capable of handling three security domains (Internal Network, the Internet, and a DMZ) for a SOHO.

A hardened linux box running NetFilter/IPtables with three network cards looks like a good fit. However, I would also welcome suggestions regarding low-budget hardware firewalls meeting these requirements.

I believe that the now defunct Linux Router Project (http://www.linuxrouter.org/) has left some successors:

http://leaf.sourceforge.net/
http://www.smoothwall.org/
http://www.devil-linux.org/

Please let me know if you have used one of these linux firewall distributions and what your experience was (installation, configuration, maintenance).

Thanks!

Best Regards,

Skander Ben Mansour
---