Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Linux Firewall Distributions

From: Skander Ben Mansour <firewall-wizards () benmansour net>
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2004 16:55:38 +0200

Hi Firewall-Wizards,

Does anyone have experience with Linux based Firewall/Router distributions ?

I am looking for a cost-effective firewall capable of handling three security domains (Internal Network, the Internet, and a DMZ) for a SOHO.

A hardened linux box running NetFilter/IPtables with three network cards looks like a good fit. However, I would also welcome suggestions regarding low-budget hardware firewalls meeting these requirements.

I believe that the now defunct Linux Router Project (http://www.linuxrouter.org/) has left some successors:

http://leaf.sourceforge.net/
http://www.smoothwall.org/
http://www.devil-linux.org/

Please let me know if you have used one of these linux firewall distributions and what your experience was (installation, configuration, maintenance).

Thanks!

Best Regards,

Skander Ben Mansour
---