Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Worms, Air Gaps and Responsibility

From: "Thomas W Shinder" <tshinder () tacteam net>
Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 07:51:17 -0500

I don't think "Don't use Windows" is a viable option in the long term.
Non-Windows OS servers have reached critical mass, especially in the
enterprise space, making them tasty targets. When non-Windows client
systems reach critical mass, exploits target against them will surely
come fast and furious. And unless the non-Windows OSs are "Windows-ized"
so that someone takes responsibility for fixing them, you'll end up
having to pay even more to move back to an Microsoft solution, since
Microsoft will have its security issues handled and the fledgling Linux
vendors will just be ramping up their IR efforts.

The Windows v. Linux security debate isn't about inhernet security
issues, its about total attack surface. The per capita attack surface on
Windows OSs continues to decrease while the Linux systems seem to stay
about the same. But the aggregate attack surface for Windows systems is
much higher because of their market penetration. I do expect the market
penetration for Linux systems to increase in the next 5-10 years where
its aggregate attack surface will be much larger than Microsoft's .

The "Windows-ized" vendors will try to play catch up while Microsoft
will have its systems in place. And this doesn't even take into account
the "OS by committee" for non-vendor Linux system. Anything that is
based on a  "depend on the kindness of strangers" approach isn't
something you can have a lot of faith in. At least it didn't work in
Tara ;-)

While recommending moving away from Windows might represent a security
ploy in the short term, the long term costs would be prohibitive for
larger organizations that move away, and then move back, to Microsoft.

Tom

Thomas W Shinder, M.D.
www.isaserver.org/shinder
ISA 2004 Beta - Get it now!