Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Worms, Air Gaps and Responsibility

From: Crispin Cowan <crispin () immunix com>
Date: Thu, 06 May 2004 15:02:24 -0700

Paul D. Robertson wrote:

With all the money spent on "security" solutions that aren't as effective
as "don't connect"- how many companies even look at their user population
risk profiles and architect for it?  Not connecting is *really* cheap and
*really* effective.
Really effective I'll believe (it definitely is secure) but really cheap I will challenge. IT facilities like e-mail and web do a lot to reduce operational costs. If you declare everyone's workstation to be "production" and disconnect them from the Internet then you may end up deploying a second set of workstations for Internet access, and that is not cheap.

OTOH, I advocate somewhat less drastic solutions like "don't use Windows", which is also "really cheap and really effective", and "adult supervision" tells me how unrealistic my proposal is with objections similar to my objections for disconnecting.

Crispin

--
Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.  http://immunix.com/~crispin/
CTO, Immunix          http://immunix.com