Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Worms, Air Gaps and Responsibility

From: Devdas Bhagat <devdas () dvb homelinux org>
Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 11:42:34 +0530

On 06/05/04 17:05 -0400, Jim Seymour wrote:
Devdas Bhagat <devdas () dvb homelinux org> wrote:

On 06/05/04 10:34 -0400, Paul D. Robertson wrote:
[snip]

I understand where you're coming from, I'd just like to see us all make
more coordinated and extensive efforts to revisit the "connectivity trumps
all" mantra.
Let me ask a harder question: How do you get the horse to drink?
Connectivity shows profits in the balance sheet. Security shows up as
expenses. Lack of downtime does not show up.

I don't give management options.  Or, more accurately, the only options
I wish.
/me ships Jim's management colourful brochures full of snake oil about
one point management and security. "YOU DO NOT NEED A SKILLED
ADMINISTRATOR TO RUN THIS POINT AND CLICK SECURITY APPLICATION."
And slightly less educated management.

Which brings up the original question, how do you educate this type of
management?

I give them are ones with a level of security with which I'm
comfortable.  "Comfortable" == I take *personal* ownership of its
functionality and its security, 24x7x365.  If they should happen to
discover, through no fault of my own, there's a "cheaper," less-secure
way, and they want to force me to implement it: Fine.  I'll do it.  But
when the wheels fall off (not "if," but "when"): Don't be callin' *me*
in the middle of the night, over the weekend, or while I'm on vacation,
cryin' about it.

[snip]

Note that having one cheap administrator dedicated to cleaning up viruses
often works out cheaper than having an antivirus everywhere and kept up
to date.
[snip]

My work domain isn't all that big, but even *I* can't agree with that.
Said company currently spends about 800 USD to 1000 USD on maintaining a
team of 5 people in three round the clock shifts for running a 400+ node
Windows LAN. Dedicating /one/ of these administrators to cleaning up
viruses is cheaper than having antivirus everywhere.

Flip the people/system costs and you will see what I mean. Bodies are
cheap, systems are not.

<snip lots of good points>

Devdas Bhagat