Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Worms, Air Gaps and Responsibility

From: Devdas Bhagat <devdas () dvb homelinux org>
Date: Sat, 8 May 2004 22:25:52 +0530

On 08/05/04 11:23 -0400, Mark Gumennik wrote:
<replies only to the list please>
LINUX on a desktop? - I am going back to desktop administration right
away. Hooray! - we will get paid more money than security gurus! And
instead of getting 5 people per 1000 users (whatever the standard is
IIRC, it was about 50 Windows systems per administrator, and 100 for a
Unix administrator at one time.
With a Linux/Unix desktop running X and remote applications, the real
requirements come down from 100 desktops to ten beefier boxes. Much easier
to manage and control. BTW, FreeBSD works quite well too.
So it might get much cheaper for a company to hire fewer clued
administrators.

right now) we will have to hire 25. Go employment for IS, I mean us !
AND how the heck do you propose to manage AAA? Any replacement for
domain infrastructure? - the only one I know today that is better then
OpenLDAP? The only thing missing is a pretty frontend (the current ones
aren't *that* pretty yet). ACLs? Linux has those. Kerberos, its there.
(I know OpenLDAP is a PITA by itself, but that is a different beast).

MS is Novell NDS (and btw it's 10 years more mature, and btw it works on
LINUX ) Shall we use NDS? - Go back to that monster? Was it better
under their dictatorship?
If that is an option, why not? Use the best tools for the job (which in
some cases may be Windows as well).

AND: where do you get the info about LINUX being more secure than the
Big Bad ? Read any serious info , like from bagtrack, LINUX had more
vulnerabilities for the past 3 years than any given MS OS
None of which really impacted the world. Or took down critical
infrastructure, that being what sparked off this thread.

AND: I don't like the fact that LINUX security is mostly sponsored by
German and some other governments, just don't like it. Do you seriously
check all the code before installing the OS? Every distro?
Uh? I seriously like the fact that Linux security is sponsored by people
outside the USA. I haven't, yet. But then, I read Bugtraq and FD and
keep an eye out for alerts and patch my own systems.
The fact that Windows security is done in the USA is far scarier to me
outside the USA.

Devdas Bhagat
PS: I'm not saying that *Linux* should be on the desktop. It could be
a BSD, or another OS as well.