Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Vulnerability Response (was: BGP TCP RST Attacks)

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <paul () compuwar net>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 08:29:03 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 27 May 2004, George Capehart wrote:

*crawls out from under rock, drags out soap box*

Seems to me this is less a case of security being the tail trying to wag
the dog as it is a case of users being the tail that actually wags the
dog.  One must wonder who is running the company.  These are policy
issues, for crying out loud!  Sounds like it's time to introduce a
certification and accreditation process into those organizations.
Doesn't have to be as rigorous as DITSCAP or SP 800-37 . . . just
something that forces the people in the company who are supposed to be
managing the risk to do so . . . or formally, in writing, accept the
risk that they're *not* managing.

The main issue I've seen is that traditionally, the person ordered to make
rule changes is not often empowered to reject changes, or even require
written justification.

This is the reason that a security policy is important.  If your security
policy enumerates who can authorize changes, what the default stance is,
and how risk is to be investigated- then you're way ahead of the users
dictate policy game.

When you do it right, it works.  At my last employer, I had a division
vice president who thought that my insistence that they waddle out from behind
their desks to a second computer in their office to use a new application
they were evaluating was too inconvenient for them.  They tried to
override me, and when they scheduled a meeting with the corporate CIO to
go over my head, the CIO invited me to explain the policy.

Because I'd done all the policy stuff up-front, and because I'd regularly
haul the CIO into a conference room and make him understand the risks by
doing a half-hour to hour of whiteboarding, where we discussed the network
and business risks of various things, as well as detection and protection
strategies, I had really good solid backing.

The cost of risk is very important.  If people in the business expect that
"open a port on the firewall" sorts of things are all that's needed to
accept new risk, then you'll get lots of requests, and they'll be very
difficult to stop, since almost anything can be justified in a forward
looking basis (the trick is to get the finance people to account for the
benefits and history of the projections.)- but if people have to pay for
risk mitigation, and it's a part of the process, then you tend to get only
the requests that really have some business merit.  "We need to reduce
this connectivity by buying this network infrastructure, these licenses
and 1/2 of a FTE" tends to have a pretty good self-moderating impact on
things that aren't strategically important to the organization.

Paul