Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Vulnerability Response (was: BGP TCP RST Attacks)

From: Gwendolynn ferch Elydyr <gwen () reptiles org>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 10:39:04 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 3 Jun 2004, Paul D. Robertson wrote:
One of the best quotes yet that I got from a vendor in a meeting was
"Stop!  I can't think that fast!"  In that case though, the users were
being pressured into evaluating and possibly purchasing something they
didn't want- but politically couldn't dismiss themselves.  I got invited
to do the thing they were used to seeing me do- beat up the vendor over
security- but this time it was to their advantage for me to poke holes in
it, since it'd give them ammo for rejecting the whole silly scheme.

Wandering somewhat afield, the most remarkable reaction that I've ever
gotten from a vendor was the one who called up, practically in tears,
and proclaimed "You can't do this to me! It's not fair!" [0].

I was completely boggled that they thought that a social attack of that
nature was likely to have any effect other than causing me to flee farther.

More to the point, it also helps when you can go down a litany of
requirements with the vendor, and force them to address each item [1]...

Get some sand, a bucket, a nail and a hammer, and *show* them how much
effectiveness they lose with each port.

Hrm. I may have to try that... if nothing else, it's a fun example ;>

cheers!
[0] "this" being not including their product in the final evaluation
phase.  At the time, they didn't have a TLS gateway, which was a showstopper.
[1] Then again, it's always fun to include "Meets RFC 1149 and 3514".