Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Vulnerability Response (was: BGP TCP RST Attacks)

From: George Capehart <capegeo () opengroup org>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 17:58:06 -0400

On Wednesday 26 May 2004 06:30 pm, Marcus J. Ranum wrote:

<snip>

threats and vulnerabilities are, and whack those. That's a really
useless approach in the long run. I'd guess that a significant number
of the firewalls I've seen are being used to knock down "well known
bad things" instead of "only allow a few good things."   I did a talk
the other day in which I outlined the "old-school" secure firewall
approach (non-routed networks, proxy everything, default deny, audit
policy violations) and people in the room were amazed: "None of our
users would accept that kind of solution!" they cried. Therein lies
the rub. As long as something so important as security is the tail
trying to wag the dog, it's not going to go anyplace.

*crawls out from under rock, drags out soap box*

Seems to me this is less a case of security being the tail trying to wag
the dog as it is a case of users being the tail that actually wags the
dog.  One must wonder who is running the company.  These are policy
issues, for crying out loud!  Sounds like it's time to introduce a
certification and accreditation process into those organizations.
Doesn't have to be as rigorous as DITSCAP or SP 800-37 . . . just
something that forces the people in the company who are supposed to be
managing the risk to do so . . . or formally, in writing, accept the
risk that they're *not* managing.

My 0.02 $currency_denomination.

Cheers,

George Capehart