Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Transparent proxying

From: "jm" <jm () snow-crash net>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 19:55:28 -0800

Hello everybody,

I'm trying to enable transparent proxying from a router or from a L3/4
switch and after a day spent on Cisco, Extreme Networks and other Enterasys
website I'm still completely clueless as to whether I need a $1,000 or a
$15,000 box. Since obviously I would prefer the former, I'm relying on your
advices.

I have a proxy server processing some HTTP and some other stuff: mostly I
want to receive packets based on IP and/or on port. I'd like a router/switch
device that can transparently route packets to my proxy server. I have three
different locations to provide, one with about 1,000 users, the other with
3,000 and the last one with over 8,000 seats. I cannot touch the existing
infrastructure (i.e. reconfigure the existing Cisco boxes already in place)
but I can insert my router/switch in-line on the LAN side of the firewall.

In addition I need the router/switch to be remotely configurable from my
proxy server. And finally I need some equipment which from a brand which is
known enough that it won't raise too much eyebrows when installed in-line
(i.e. Linux is out of the picture, Cisco would be ideal if the price is
correct).

So what do I need? A router? An L3 switch? An L4 gizmo? Which price range?
Your help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

jm