Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Top Secret DOD Data over the Public Internet? Thoughts?

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <paul () compuwar net>
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 11:29:33 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004, Christopher Hicks wrote:

Maybe if we weren't spending so much money sacrificing our military might
in the Middle East we'd have enough money left over to run our Top Secret
network?  As much of a pain in the butt as physically seperate is to

Different budgets, and not germain.

maintain we've seen clearly given how various widely respected crypto
algorithms have been undermined just in recent weeks that as vital and
necessary as crypto is that it doesn't provide a complete solution.  We

The time between deployment of a cryptosystem, and its analysis then its
compromise is generally quite long.  It's longer still if the algorithm
hasn't undergone public scrutiny and gaining an implementation takes a physical
theft[1].

won't have to worry about anybody at Los Alamos losing hard drives anymore
when our Latest Terrorist can just crack a poorly administered firewall.
My current sig is obviously something that our current brilliant DISA
management has missed out on.  Sigh.

Newsflash:  We've been running encrypted traffic over untrusted networks
for literally decades.  It seems to have worked just fine so far.  That's
not to say there aren't concerns and issues, but to say that neither the
practice, nor the threat is new.

I've personally put classified nodes in hotel rooms (in a long past life,)
and it's not exactly rocket science.  It's all about a strong encryption
boundary.

Paul
[1] Public scrutiny of cryptosystems is a good thing, but obscurity
combined with limited physical implementation requires that an attacker
actually get hold of either the device, or enough traffic to analyze.
That takes time, which is in the defender's interest.