Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Top Secret DOD Data over the Public Internet? Thoughts?

From: "Kevin Sheldrake" <kev () electriccat co uk>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 15:30:20 +0100

"Like most large enterprises, DOD wants to consolidate its networks under a single architecture, making use of the Internet wherever possible, Hale said."

"Eventually, the agency wants to merge its own networks into a single entity, Hale said."

It certainly reads to me that they want all their differently classified networks to run over the Internet; which would imply crypto separation would be required.

;)

Kev

> http://www.gcn.com/vol1_no1/daily-updates/26971-1.html

This is all very interesting, but I don't think that article said anything about DoD data going over public internet! ;-) I think they were hinting at
separating messages on the internal DoD network, separating messages of
different classification levels using encryption, instead of physical
segments. That largely removes DoS and MIM considerations.

\\ Eugene Kuznetsov, Chairman & CTO  : eugene () datapower com
\\ DataPower Technology, Inc.        : Web Services security
\\ http://www.datapower.com          : XS40 XML Security Gateway

--
Kevin Sheldrake MEng MIEE CEng CISSP
Electric Cat (Bournemouth) Ltd