Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Custom Unix server installations -- to harden extensively ?

From: salgak () speakeasy net
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 06:27:35 -0700

On 14 May 2003, Ben Nagy wrote:

This reminds me of a dream I had once where
someone nice would create integrated build CDs
for task purposed unix servers - example might
be a hardened OS set up to just run apache,
with predefined users that could do nothing
but add remove modules and change the configs.
Same for DNS proxies, HTTP proxies, Mail Relay
etc etc.

Sort of like an "Open Source Appliance
Project".

Well, once upon a time, there was a distribution called "Storm Linux" which was designed, from day one, to be a
firewall.   Unfortunately, I've seen neither hide nor hair of Stormix Technologies since sometime in 2001, and the
website comes up "not available at this time".

But, thanks to Distrowatch, I DID find a mirror of the ISO of it:

http://public.ftp.planetmirror.com/pub/storm/iso/

I'll be d/ling it myself in the next day of three (Mandrake 9.1 is still coming down on the home box. . .)

Mayhaps in a week or two, can give a review, since I've never worked with a Debian-based distro before. . .

Keith A. Glass
Manassas, Virginia, USA