Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Custom Unix server installations -- to harden extensively ?

From: Julian Gomez <kluivert () tm net my>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 22:12:51 +0800

On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 06:19:43PM -0700, John Adams spoke thusly:
On Tue, 13 May 2003, Julian Gomez wrote:

(snip lots)

* Compile and build software on a single, centralized host. Push
packaegs/RPMs out to boxes when needed using SSH or NFS, but update the
relevant jumpstart/kickstart machine profile when you do this, so you know
what's installed where and can rebuild at whim.

I'll probably have to agree with most of the feedback, install one really
stripped product distribution, minus all the bells and whistles -- and have
it available through something like kickstart.

And for the package customization, do that through a separate build machine
only -- which has always been my preferred method except due to hardware
limitations, that hasn't always been easy to accomplish. Not to mention
that when you've got various RedHat versions strewn all over the place,
getting something to compile can be horrid :-)

Thanks!