Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: OT: Av and Gartner...

From: "R. DuFresne" <dufresne () sysinfo com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 21:14:45 -0400 (EDT)

        [SNIP]

Never understood running AV on servers.  How would they get infected?  Very
little, if any, browser use is permitted on our servers and no email clients
are ever run on them.  Now, if we're talking about servers in a DMZ, such as
web servers, compromises are always a possibility, but very few of those would
be caught by an AV.

Think mounts and shares, and network served apps.

The server does not have to become sick and infected to be the source or
part of the problem, if it's serving up infected versions of files to
others that run or open them and trust their macros.

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne
--
        admin & senior security consultant:  sysinfo.com

"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation."
                -- Johnny Hart

testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!