Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: terminal services

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <proberts () patriot net>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 15:29:52 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 28 Jan 2003 natfirewall () netscape net wrote:

Greetings,

I am being asked to open port 3389 on our Corporate firewall and
direct incoming traffic on that port to a specific IP on our internal
network.  Being the paranoid that I am, I do not want to do this but I

I wouldn't do that for any money.

need better reasons/ammunition other than saying "it would be bad".
I am looking for pointers to information hopefully in support of my
fear of M$ security.  Also, the more recent the information the
better.

1.  If it's not just open to a specific endpoint address, anyone can start
doing ID/password guessing on the port.  That should be enough of a start
to get you where you want to be.

Not being close minded, I would also be interested in seeing any
information which would make me feel warm and fuzzy about opening the
port.

Wes is right, a VPN is the right answer here.  Without it, you don't have
any protection for the machine, the protocol, or even against a DoS
attack.

Paul