Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: terminal services

From: Don Kendrick <don () netspys com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 15:26:16 -0500

Open from where? The world? Yikes!!! What's that address :)

Seriously, I come from the school that one never ever opens ports from the world directly into the internal network. A DMZ, maybe. Never inside. Doesn't matter if it's WTS or mail or web, not to the internal net. By allowing it all the way in you are throwing away "defense in depth" and any notion of a layered architecture.

If you can get it on the DMZ, would I do it? Open to the world? No. A specific IP? Maybe, depends what I give that WTS host access to. If I don't know source IP and therefore have to open to the world (ie traveling DHCP user out in the world somewhere), I'd be looking at VPN using Strong Authentication and only open it to VPN clients.

Don