Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: How AAA in PIX Firewall ?

From: "Ray Burkholder" <ray () oneunified net>
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2003 00:25:30 -0500

1) Cisco has a VPN client pack with 100 clients for a few hundred dollars.
PIX 501's should run you in the $500 to $700 range each in quantity.  I'd
recommend them if you have small offices to handle, otherwise use the VPN
client pack.  Be sure your central size has a VPN hardware accelerator for
handling multiple units.  A PIX 515 with the accellerator or a 3600 series
router with an accelerator should suffice.

2) Windows 2000 server has a Radius server built in which will authenticate
against Active Directory.  Alternatively, you can use a Linux box running
FreeRadius will authenticate with Active Directory in LDAP mode.  I'm not
sure exactly what type of URL filtering you wish to do, so these may now
work quite right for you.  Authentication and logging works well in either
scenario.

Ray Burkholder
http://www.oneunified.net
704 576 5101

1) The problem of use site-to-site VPN is that I need to buy 1 PIX
Firewall
peer remote office (Total of 15 PIX 501) and this is more
expensive that
individual VPN, or not ?

2)I need AAA for controlling users access to the Internet.
My network is
Microsoft Windows Network with 2 Domain Controller and I need to
Authenticate, filter URL and log the activity of the user
that will use
NAT
trough the PIX , How can I do that ? I know that exist RADIUS server
software, but the problems is if they do that, and what of
this SERVER do
it
?
In case of controlling remote access to the firewall I only need
authentication.

--
Scanned for viruses and dangerous content at
http://www.oneunified.net and is believed to be clean.