Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: tunnel vs open a hole

From: George Capehart <capegeo () opengroup org>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2003 19:15:04 -0400

On Thursday 10 April 2003 03:48 pm, Paul Robertson wrote:

My "extremely poorly in crash tests" SUV did over $1500 in damage to
the "well-qualified in crash tests" car that hit me last year[1].
The cover to my bumper was scraped in one place, and ideally I'd
spend $100 fixing all the pretty plastic and making the bumper line
up a little straighter.  It hasn't rolled over yet either.

That, I think is the base issue- just because it's *possible* to
operate a well-run and well maintained server doesn't make that the
default, and because some good portion of folks can do it, there's no
real pressure to make servers that don't fall over the default
because some "safty loons" are complaining that it might roll over.

There are many people whose SUVs haven't rolled over on them because
they are good, careful and prudent drivers who drive defensively and
don't take chances.  Then there is the "It'll Never Happen to Me" group
whose members may at some level, be cognitively aware of the
possibility, but whose driving behavior is not impacted by the data.
They're just plain lucky that it hasn't happened to them yet.  They
have their counterparts in the network/system administration world.
This just lessens the pressure to make servers that don't fall over . .
.

In this region (Washington, D.C. area) it's amusing to watch the
first snow's SUV victims who've never driven on anything other than
dry pavement come to the realization that the laws of physics still
apply, and just because you *can* get up to 70MPH easily doesn't mean
you can get back down to a stop, or negotiate a turn just as easily.

See the previous paragraph . . . :-)

/g
--
George Capehart

PGP Key ID 63F0F642 at http://pgp.mit.edu

"Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug."
 -- Mark Knofler