Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: tunnel vs open a hole

From: Paul Robertson <proberts () patriot net>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 15:48:51 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 10 Apr 2003, R. DuFresne wrote:

blowing up under-pressure.  Afterall, we as a buying public still payout
large sums of cash yearly for SUV's that almost need a direct link to a
gas pump, roll over wiht slight twists of the steering mechanics to avoind
obsticles, and do extremely poorly in crash tests.  Even with seatbelts

SUV rollovers _generally_ happen with people who've had no training,
familiarization or testing for driving vehicles with high centers of
gravity.  Likewise, server compromises generally happen with people who've
had no security training, familiarity or testing setting up servers...

My "extremely poorly in crash tests" SUV did over $1500 in damage to the
"well-qualified in crash tests" car that hit me last year[1].  The cover
to my bumper was scraped in one place, and ideally I'd spend $100 fixing all
the pretty plastic and making the bumper line up a little straighter.  It
hasn't rolled over yet either.

That, I think is the base issue- just because it's *possible* to operate a
well-run and well maintained server doesn't make that the default, and
because some good portion of folks can do it, there's no real pressure to
make servers that don't fall over the default because some "safty loons"
are complaining that it might roll over.

In this region (Washington, D.C. area) it's amusing to watch the first
snow's SUV victims who've never driven on anything other than dry pavement
come to the realization that the laws of physics still apply, and just
because you *can* get up to 70MPH easily doesn't mean you can get back
down to a stop, or negotiate a turn just as easily.

Paul
[1] About equal to the damage done to him by the van that plowed into the
back of him.  The laws of physics weren't kind to the crumple zone in
between us.