Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: AIM

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <proberts () patriot net>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 10:17:27 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 1 Oct 2002, Nieveler, Juergen wrote:

This brings up an interesting problem, though: As firewall admins, we
wouldn't want to give advise to (l)users trying to circumvent a firewall -

It's a finely balanced thing- as is the issue with all information
conflicts.  Educating the defenders also educates the attackers, and visa
versa.  That's one reason that I think it's _extremely_ important to point
out to folks who are thinking of circumventing firewalls that they're
doing so at their peril.  When they then cross the line, they have no
excuse for having done so.

we should, however, discuss methods of doing so to find means of preventing
the circumvention. By doing this, however, we give any user who has
subscribed to the list the tips he needs to circumvent firewalls
administered by people who aren't reading the list.

There are firewall admins who don't read firewall-wizards?  Shame on them!

Way back in the past, I used to copy postmaster@ for the obvious violators,
the plethora of freemail accounts makes that less effective than it once
was.

Paul