Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: AIM

From: "Nieveler, Juergen" <Juergen.Nieveler () akzonobeldeco de>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 15:56:29 +0200

What sort of ISP blocks AIM anyway?  Switch or get DSL or something.

As Jim pointed out, almost obviously a school does- "The firewall ate my
homework!"

I think we can be QUITE sure about this, as the email address of the
original mail points to the Los Angeles Unified School District... and a
quick googling for the Email address also reveals 2 hits that seem to
indicate we aren't talking about a Teacher, either.

This brings up an interesting problem, though: As firewall admins, we
wouldn't want to give advise to (l)users trying to circumvent a firewall -
we should, however, discuss methods of doing so to find means of preventing
the circumvention. By doing this, however, we give any user who has
subscribed to the list the tips he needs to circumvent firewalls
administered by people who aren't reading the list.

--
Mit freundlichen Gru?en / Yours sincerely
Juergen Nieveler

Disclaimer: Views are mine, not my employers'
--
This message, including attachments, is confidential and may be privileged.

Diese Nachricht, einschliesslich anhaengender Dateien, ist persoenlich und
kann vertraulich sein. Wenn Sie diese Nachricht irrtuemlich erhalten,
benachrichtigen Sie bitte den Absender und loeschen Sie bitte die
Originalnachricht und alle Kopien. Sie sollten die Nachricht ohne die
Zustimmung des Absenders weder ganz noch teilweise  kopieren, weiterleiten
oder sonstwie weiterverbreiten.