Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: AIM

From: Christopher Hicks <chicks () chicks net>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 06:41:24 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 30 Sep 2002, Randy Clemens wrote:

My ISP just started blocking all instant messaging services through
their firewall. Is there any way to get around this besides paying for
an HTTP tunnel? Please help me. Thanks! (They also block certain
webpages that I try to access. Any way around that one?)

Blocking AIM is tough.  It tries every port it can including things that
are surely 'ok' for most firewalls like 80 110.  Since you can't do it via
port-blocking they've probably blocked the ip blocks for the AIM servers.
(That's what I used to do when our daughter would spend all night on AIM
instead of homework.)  The only way around the ISP's firewall is to get
somebody to tunnel your traffic.  That'll require some sort of VPN between
your box and somebox outside your ISP.  That would solve your other
problem as well.

What sort of ISP blocks AIM anyway?  Switch or get DSL or something.
These guys sound a several screws loose of a complete set.

--
</chris>

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
        -Oscar Wilde, writer (1854-1900)