Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Interlopers on the WLAN

From: "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist () ekahuna com>
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2002 14:25:15 -0800

On 6 Nov 2002 at 21:41, Frank O'Dwyer boldly uttered:

On Wed, 2002-11-06 at 20:54, Philip J. Koenig wrote:
[...]
 if a hacker hops on an insecure
WLAN and causes damage to some other site by DoS'ing it for example,
who's at fault - the commercial site that the hacker attacks, the
operator of the insecure WLAN, or the hacker?  I say 1) the hacker

Me too. Why is there a need to blame anyone else.

and to a lesser extent 2) the operator of the insecure WLAN.

Why? Firstly, you're assuming the WLAN is "insecure" simply
because it lets anyone connect without asking who they are.
Maybe that's what the owner and users of the WLAN want. His
network, his policy. If you don't like his policy, maybe
you need make sure your network isn't connected to his in
any way that matters to you.

Once you connect a network to the internet, your security problems
often become everyone else's security problems.

Maybe you need to put pressure
on the ISP to stop giving connectivity to such "insecure"
hosts. Or maybe yours is the insecure network that shouldn't
be connected - it's not at all obvious who is putting who at
risk here.

Bear in mind my main original point was about the legality or ethics
of hopping onto an open WLAN.  But beyond that, there is this concept
of an "attractive nuisance" when someone connected to the internet
does something to encourage hacking activity from systems under their
control.  The term commonly used is that it's a "rogue" network or
system.  As you mentioned, the usual choke point for such rogue
systems is their upstream provider, and just as it has become an
issue for ISPs who host spammers and open-relays, I think it will
become an issue for ISP customers with indiscriminately open WLANs.
(reinforced by the fact that in many cases, these ISP customers are
also breaching the terms of their ISP agreement by providing access
to others beyond their household, or in some cases by profiting from
selling access)

Regardless, someone's network is not insecure just because it
doesn't comply with *your* security policy. It may well be
perfectly secure with respect to its own assets, security
goals, and policy.

I think there are a variety of commonly-accepted norms for networks
connected to the internet, and if you blatantly flout such norms
(hosting hackers, spammers, and other troublemakers) you will shortly
find yourself without connectivity because of the pressure your
upstream will get over you.

Certainly not the final victim of the attack.

Of course not. At least not until someone starts setting precedents
for holding people liable for running "insecure networks". Because
the ultimate victim of an attack is also going to look bad under
that standard.

Of course not, but your earlier comment (see below) implies that the
victim is as "guilty" as the network used as a launching point for an
attack.  As I said earlier, there is often absolutely nothing a
victim can do to mitigate such attacks (cf the DDoS attacks on E-
Trade, Yahoo, Ebay etc by "mafiaboy" a couple years ago), whereas the
network(s) where the attack was launched from generally can do quite
a lot to prevent such attacks from occurring or succeeding.

You wrote:

    > I can't think of any reasonable definition of "operating an
    > insecure network" that doesn't apply first and foremost to the
    > target of any successful attack.

[...]

IMO The proper response is (a) to help people to secure their own
networks (and no that does not mean shutting down open access
points) and (b) prosecute hackers. Making criminals of the rest
of us is unjustifiable, ineffectual, and may even be
counterproductive.

Point taken, but in the meanwhile I'm not looking forward to
thousands of hacker-anonymizing open WLANs creating a serious
nuisance for the community either. (much of my consternation should
be directed at the greedy WLAN industry groups and hardware vendors
who have greatly added to the problem by A) not requiring security to
be turned on under the various 802.11 standards and B) shipping
products with security defaulting to off.)

--
Philip J. Koenig                                       pjklist () ekahuna com
Electric Kahuna Systems -- Computers & Communications for the New Millenium