Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Interlopers on the WLAN

From: "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist () ekahuna com>
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2002 02:29:54 -0800

On 6 Nov 2002 at 9:54, Frank O'Dwyer boldly uttered:
On Wed, 2002-11-06 at 09:17, Philip J. Koenig wrote:

Further on the legal/abuse front: I predict the next wave of spammers
will be heavily exploiting open WLANs to anonymize themselves while
sending out spam, and I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see DNS-based
blacklists of open WLANs pop up, just like the various ones that are
now operating to flag open SMTP relays and other potential spam
sources.

I'm not sure that would work. For example if I created an open WLAN
here, everything would appear to originate from a dynamic IP address. To
block that, you'd have to block my entire ISP, which would prevent a
sizeable proportion of the UK from sending email.

Such details have not in the past stopped email blacklisters from
listing giant swaths of IP address space just because a couple of
those addresses had been accused of sending spam.  It happens to be
an issue which I have argued with the "antispam zealots" over for
several years now.  A surprisingly high number of sysadmins block all
email traffic from entire countries these days as a draconian "anti-
spam" measure.

But also worrying is the potential for somebody to start launching
full-on attacks using WLANs as the connection point. These will appear
to originate from Harry Homeowner's DSL connection or from XYZ Corp. I
don't know if it would be possible to physically locate the origin of a
WLAN sender, as it is with mobile phones, but if so then that would be a
saving grace.

One of my issues with the whole idea of "wardriving" is that it
provides the kind of anonymity which hackers cherish and which the
security community is no fan of.  I'd venture to say that hacking
over an open WLAN is by far the MOST anonymous way of doing so -
Mitnick was arrested while running over a stolen cellphone and
traversing a chain of at least 3-4 different networks to slow down
attempts to find him.  If he were doing this over someone's open WLAN
while parked on the street out front, all he'd need to do is drive
away and it would be next to impossible to find him.

Otherwise we may be stuck with one of two fairly ugly scenarios:
plausible deniability for Harry Hacker ("it wasn't me, someone must have
used my open WLAN"), or Harry Homeowner made liable for everything
originating from his connection.

Personally I favor the latter example, since one should take
responsibility for one's actions - in this case, operating an
insecure network.

But let me reiterate that while I believe that any operator of a WLAN
should be responsible for damage which results from it, I also
believe that unsophisticated users can't be expected to understand
all the specific security issues at play, particularly if their
retail-bought hardware doesn't turn it on by default.  Which is why I
think the presumption on the part of interlopers that a network is
*by default* public, unless special measures are taken, is not
particularly rational. (rather, it's self-serving, because people who
espouse it, IMHO, are blinded by the promise of "free internet".)

But as soon as certain entities with significant resources and
something to lose get damaged by some WLAN interloper, I'll bet that
they will be looking to crack down on and prosecute anyone caught in
the act.  This may indeed change the attractiveness of "wardriving"
quite a bit in the future.

--
Philip J. Koenig
pjklist () ekahuna com