Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Annoying pop-ups

From: Paul Robertson <proberts () patriot net>
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2002 16:46:08 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 1 Nov 2002, Gregory Austin wrote:

<rant>
The messenger service is *not* evil.  Letting unfiltered Internet traffic
hit your machine *is* stupid.  And if you spill hot coffee on yourself,
it's *your* fault you got burned, you clumsy dumb-ass.
</rant>

<counter-rant>

Social engineering is probably the most dangerous attack vector out there.
Certainly, it's the most effective one.  Handing out boiling hot cups of
coffee to toddlers isn't a way to save on healthcare costs any more than
handing out over-functional applications is a way to save on security
costs, or lower risk and harm to users.

How many word processor users actually needed, say Word macros in
documents?  Was it worth it to the rest of us who suffered through the
macro virus hell years that a small percentage of users were accomodated
in the default install of a ubiquitous product?

In my experience, very few admins actually use the windows messenger
service, so in this case, it's relatively inexpensive to shoot the
messenger, especially since those who do are quite capable of enabling it
for their users.

Paul