Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Annoying pop-ups

From: "Scott, Richard" <Richard.Scott () BestBuy com>
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2002 15:34:39 -0600

<snip>
The messenger service is *not* evil.  Letting unfiltered Internet traffic
hit your machine *is* stupid.  And if you spill hot coffee on yourself,
it's *your* fault you got burned, you clumsy dumb-ass.
</rant>
</snip>

Firstly, if the coffee was too hot that the cup could not contain the heat
safely whilst in carriage, the coffee was to hot and could prevent health
risks.  If they give it to you in a thin paper cup, what are you to do?

If you get some software, put it on your machine and all you want to do is
play quake, maybe surf the web, why should you require the LAN messenger?
Why should I require knowing about all these security risks, when in fact,
the artifact I should be using should be to a higher degree more secure?

Maybe, in the event of making end users more educated, that MS should build
a friend GUI firewall app blocking this, and then you would enable it?  Does
this sound familiar?  Seems to me you do exactly as I advocated, choose to
switch it on or off.

Cheers
r.