Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

VPN through DSL

From: "Harris, John P" <John.Harris () usa xerox com>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 22:46:15 -0500

Hi Stephanie,

If you are running an older Nortel client (older than version 4.x) and the
servers you are connecting to are older than server version 4.x, you will
need to open a "back connect" port on your NAT router. What happens is that
the session gets established between you and the server and as part of the
authentication scheme, the Contivity VPN server will actually send some
packets back to verify you are who you are. Since this is not part of the
established connection, most firewalls will dopr the packets, especially
most out of the box NAT devices. Try opening this up from your VPN servers
back to your client:

IP protocol 50 IP Security Encapsulating Security Payload (ESP)
IP protocol 51 IP Security Authentication Header (AH)

Remember these are IP protocols like TCP/IP and NOT TCP/UDP port numbers. I
think the older clients just used one of these, but at this time I don't
remember which one it is! :-) (my gut is screaming 50 at me though).

From the client to the VPN server you will need to have open the following:
TCP > 1023 (I know it's alot, back to the comment about matching your VPN
server IP)
UDP = isakmp (500)
Ip Protocol 50 (ESP)

These may not be a accurate down to the port list, it's just what I think I
remember from the manual long long ago  :-)

Later versions of the server and client software allow you to "Disable
Keepalives" which greatly reduces this traffic. They have even implemented a
solution in version 4.x that will pass all this traffic encapsulated in UDP
(I believe). This has good and bad points and the fact they made it so you
have to enable it for the whole server or nothing at all makes it a big
choice for someone running these servers.

Remember to specify this to only be allowed from your VPN servers IP's as
you don't want the extra holes to exist. Other things to check are:

Group ID and Group Password - Some providers use a GID and GP to
differentiate between different clients groups with different network access
privilages. If this information is wrong you will also get a authentication
failure.

SecureID - Make sure it is not locked, they have your PIN set right AND your
card is synced to the SecureID server. Any one of these will make your card
not function properly.

The other folks are correct about the SID auth feature. If they are running
the earlier server code, they have to use Radius authentication from the VPN
server to the SecureID server and enabling this usually just shows you a
different login page with seperate fields for PIN and PASSCODE. It may work
either way depending upon how they have their infrastructure set up.

Ping and traceroute may not be good tools to see if the server is there as
they are not used by the client or server so they can be shut off for
tighter security.

The best advice is to try and contact the administrators of the servers
themselves and see if they would be willing to assist you. There should be
some additional connection information in the logs on the server.
Particularly line that show you start to connect, then the server all of a
sudden saying your not there anymore which is the result of the "keep-alive"
function.

First start by allowing any traffic from your VPN server back through your
NAT router/firewall. If you are getting an error back you are reaching the
server initially which tells you that it's actually there without using ping
and traceroute anyway.

I hope this helps.

John

John P. Harris Jr.  SANS GSEC
Engineering Solutions & Tech Competencies
EDS Northeast Region I.Solutions
E-Mail: John.Harris () usa xerox com
Buick Club of America # 37854

Original Message Follows