Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: VPN through DSL

From: "Joe Keegan" <joe () jjk3 com>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 15:45:10 -0800

I thought that NAT only affected AH and not ESP.

This is due to the fact that AH generates its ICV based on the whole
packet (minus the mutable fields, such as TTL). When the packets goes
through a NAT, the header changes and the ICV no longer matches.

ESP does not include the IP header at all when calculating the ICV, so
NATs do not effect ESP.

If the statement above is correct, then her NAT should not be part of
the problem. Unless of course she was using AH, instead of ESP, but then
there would be no encryption and it would kind of miss the point of the
VPN over the Internet.

Joe