Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Re: Firewalls breaking stuff: [Was re: fwtk]

From: Paul Robertson <proberts () patriot net>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 17:50:59 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 22 Jul 2002, Charles W. Swiger wrote:

That's not correct.

Sorry, I was thinking of the accelerator/decryptors which started the
thread- you're right- some products don't handle the SSL stream, but that
doesn't make them bug-free, and certainly doesn't mean that tainted data
won't be passed through the server to them.

[ Short of compromising and going through the HTTPS server machine, that
is. ]

It *is* the HTTPS server, that's the idea{NPI].

The machine the SSL accelerator is connected to would be running HTTPS,
but an SSL accelerator isn't an HTTPS server.  A PCI card or a dongle on
the SCSI chain doesn't have a network interface, and would not be
listening on port 443/tcp even if it could speak HTTPS.

That doesn't mean that it doesn't have say the ANS.1 bugs that we've seen
in LDAP and SNMP.  That doesn't mean they're not exploitable via that
vector either.

Only those who turn that feature on and rely on it for operations.

And those who turn the feature on but don't rely on it.  And those using
switches shipped with SNMP enabled by the vendor's default who haven't
turned it off.  And those not using SNMP now but want to close a potential
hole if they (or someone else) enables the feature later.

The point would be what?  That people using featurful products need to
keep up to date?  No arguments here.

Marcus claimed the SSL crypto-accelerator box was "mystical" and
"unauditable" in the part quoted above, but you've claimed that "nothing
is unauditable".  Regardless of which one of you is correct, my point
remains that a box labelled "Cryptoswift" is not inherently more or less
secure than a box labelled "Cisco" (or Nokia, or Lucent, etc).

That's not the argument though- the argument is that adding a complex
protocol (or complex bunch of calls) adds a potential for more attacks
against the device.  It may be more or less secure- part of the reason
that I'm skeptical about it is that I've read all the Lab reports on our
site for VPN devices, talked to a lot of vendors in a former life
(including vendors with products on the EPL) and frankly I'm not all that
impressed with the level of security put in most encryption products.  I'd
rather go with something where I know things like IVs have been tested than
something where I don't know that at all- either I have to test it, or I
have to trust someone else to test it.  In either case it gives me an
advantage over something that I have no testing information on.  What if
your card starts with the same IV every time?

If you can audit a Cisco VPN router, you can audit a Cryptoswift SSL box.

Maybe, maybe not- it depends on the tools and functions- which is why
what's evaluated and how is important when depending on evaluations[1].

Paul
[1] Yes, the royal we certainly can, but that market seems to not be all
that interested.