Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Firewalls breaking stuff: [Was re: fwtk]

From: "Charles W. Swiger" <chuck () codefab com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 15:57:34 -0400

On Thursday, July 18, 2002, at 05:57  PM, Marcus J. Ranum wrote:
Charles W. Swiger wrote:
To focus more on topics more relevant for this list, one of the biggest problems certain firewalls and mail proxies have is that they break the SMTP protocol. For example, Cisco's PIX (with MailGuard?) attempts to proxy SMTP and breaks the state machine defined in RFC-821 or -822, as well as preventing ESMTP and violating the SMTP banner requirements.

This comes up periodically - and it's the focus of considerable stress for firewall product builders who care about security. What should a firewall do with things that are specified in an RFC that are stupid? Obviously, something has to break.

Yes, there are times when you have to decide between security and functionality or backwards-compliance with older protocols. Is there any convincing reason to believe that Cisco's MailGuard SMTP implementation is more secure just because it breaks ESMTP?

Historically, I've never felt remorse over violating RFCs where they are stupid.

Nor should you. Please explain why SMTP AUTH or performing SSL-based encryption of mail en transit via STARTTLS is "stupid" rather than important functionality which improves security?

If you also provide SSL-based IMAP (993/tcp), you can provide email access for remote employees where their usernames, passwords, and the mail itself is never sent in plain text. That seems quite worthwhile to me.

When I broke FTP bouncing in fwtk and broke FTP server side low-port binding, I had a flurry of complaints that I was trampling on RFCs. I believe that I was
retroactively fixing them - standards are not something handed down by a
priesthood; they're just advice from a bunch of standards pukes who "do not address security" If you're trying to address security it's entirely acceptable and, indeed, the only option, to implement a subset of a dangerous protocol.

Someone capable of implementing SMTP correctly is more likely to produce secure code than someone not capable of implementing SMTP correctly. Microsoft wasn't willing (or competent enough) to implement SMTP according to the RFCs, either. Oddly enough, M$ Exchange and M$ Outlook aren't well known for the security improvements they've brought to electronic mail. :
-)

Let me repeat a private remark I made: while a program might be easier to audit because it doesn't have a lot of source code, there's little reason to assume that a security problem is going to be less severe just because you've removed a lot of functionality.
If you really try you can screw up SMTP badly enough to lose mail, but it'
s easier and more secure to disconnect the ethernet cable on the MX box, or filter port 25 entirely. It's not clear that Cisco's SMTP implementation is any less broken than that of Microsoft Exchange.

-Chuck

Chuck Swiger | chuck () codefab com | All your packets are belong to us. -------------+-------------------+-----------------------------------
       "The human race's favorite method for being in control of the facts
        is to ignore them."  -Celia Green